Producer based in the Midlands
To work within the vision and mission of Apples and Snakes to deliver the organisational business plan at a regional level through:
● the creation of programmes that develop the skills of artists with an emphasis on supporting artists from diverse backgrounds
● increasing the opportunities to see and experience the artform as audiences and participants
● working in partnership with local artists, promoters and other stakeholders to act as an advocate and ambassador for performance poets, spoken word and poetry in the Midlands
Presently the geographic focus of this role for programme delivery is Birmingham and Stratford upon Avon. This priority will change as required in order to support the strategic development of the region. It is expected that the Producer will maintain an overview of the region
● setting aims and SMART objectives for all activity and evaluating impact.
● To develop local poets through a varied range of development initiatives as agreed with the Artistic Director and Head of Producing such as Writing Room, Scratch Club, mentoring schemes
● To share information about artists from the region to the wider organisation, ensuring to add and maintain records for all relevant artists on the Apples and Snakes database
Events and Audience Development
● Provide artistic and career development advice to Midlands based artists.
● To identify audiences in the region, in collaboration with the Head of Marketing and Development, and create programmes of work that help to develop that audience
● Working in partnership with other organisations as required to develop and run events that are engaging, help develop new and maintain existing audiences for spoken word in the Midlands and provide opportunities for local artists to perform and see the work of artists from other areas of the UK and from around the world.
● To record audience numbers at all events and to undertake audience data collection activity as directed by the Head of Marketing and Development or the Artistic Director.
● To support Apples and Snakes national participatory projects within the Midlands as required.
● To manage participatory projects within the Midlands as required.
● To build and maintain a good relationship with poets, promoters and other stakeholders who align with our vision, mission and values
● To attend non Apples and Snakes performances and events to see and meet artists who are new to the Organisation.
● To work in association with other Apples and Snakes staff to maintain a thorough knowledge of developments in spoken word and performance poetry around the UK and abroad.
● To develop, plan and enable networks for poets and spoken word in the Midlands.
Marketing and Communications
● To attend specific events where you will be expected to articulate Apples and Snakes’ mission,
● In collaboration with the Apples and Snakes Marketing and Development team to create and follow a detailed communications plan for all significant projects and events that delivers against the agreed aims, objectives and targets for the activity.
● To ensure that all publicity materials required for your activity are produced in conjunction with the Marketing and Development team and distributed to budget and in accordance with agreed brand guidelines.
● To undertake all other reasonable marketing and communications tasks to ensure the objectives of your event are achieved and as directed by the Head of Marketing and Development or the Artistic Director.
● To work with the Artistic Director, Marketing and Development department as appropriate to maximise the income generated from all sources for your activities - including assisting in developing funding bids and increasing box office income- with due regard to Apples and Snakes brand, values and reputation.
Administration and Finance
● In collaboration with the Head of Producing, to create a detailed, accurate and realistic annual work plan and budget.
● To collect all data required for funding reports including Arts Council return.
overall annual expenditure targets are not exceeded.
● To be responsible for managing the agreed budget for the programme delivery ensuring that
● To prepare financial and written reports as required
● To deal with all incoming enquiries relating to the Midlands.
● To ensure that all work is GDPR compliant
● To attend all staff meetings as required
● To work as part of the national team of producers, maintaining good communication
● To undertake any training considered necessary
fulfilling its aims and objectives
● To participate in the process of continuous evaluation of the organisation’s effectiveness in
● To comply in all areas of work with Apples and Snakes’ Equal Opportunities Policy
● To carry out other such duties as may be required.
● To promote, participate in and contribute in all reasonable ways to the overall aims and
● To ensure legacy of knowledge by appropriate filing, archiving, record-keeping and reporting
Skills and Experience
Producer – current areas of focus: Birmingham & Stratford upon Avon, likely to expand to Coventry)
● Substantial experience of producing and programming live events.
● Substantial experience of project managing artistic programmes, including understanding of evaluation, monitoring and reporting
● Experience in supporting spoken word artists and poets
● Excellent and demonstrable organisational, communication, budget management and
● Understanding of marketing and basic promotion.
● Creative problem solver, comfortable making decisions and taking responsibility for them
● Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and prioritise and re-prioritise workload around changing demands
● Good administration skills
● Knowledge of relevant literature sector context and external organisations
● Excellent range of contacts across the Midlands
● Experience working in partnerships or collaboration projects
● Knowledge of event management including health & safety considerations
● Demonstrable commitment to diversity in action