Temporary Retail Sales Assistant
The Design Museum is seeking to recruit several enthusiastic and experienced Casual Retail Sales Assistants to work in its busy shops in Kensington.
With a passion for great customer service, you excel at delivering welcoming and aesthetically pleasing retail environments. Our shops offer a superlative range of products to mirror our collections and exhibitions, and you will relish the opportunity to communicate this message to our visitors in an engaging and well-informed manner.
In this role, you will be expected to remain calm under pressure and ensure our impeccable service standards are preserved during even the busiest of trading days. You will have experience of using EPoS system and will thrive in target-led commercial environments. Your flexibility and positive attitude to work will serve you well in this small, happy team.
The casual arrangement operates in the following way: the museum will contact you to notify you of potential opportunities to work. However, there is no obligation on the museum to offer work to you, and no obligation on you to accept such work as may be offered.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 17 November 2019 at midnight. Interviews will take place on either Thursday 5 or Friday 6 December 2019. If successful at shortlisting, you will randomly allocated to interview on one of these dates. Please make a note on your application form if you are not available on one or both of the given dates.
This public-facing role is responsible for serving customers in our two shops, as part of a small team.
- To welcome and positively engage every visitor to the museum and consistently deliver the highest standards of customer service.
- To maintain visual merchandising standards across both shops.
- To help exceed all retail sales targets in the shop through proactive interactions with our customers and rapid recall of product knowledge.
- To fully answer customer enquiries in a calm, professional manner, calling on the support of the management team when appropriate.
- To take pride in one’s appearance and personal presentation as a representative of the Design Museum, and ensure this is reflected in punctuality, attendance and commitment to the role.
- To operate our EPoS system in a secure and efficient manner, including all elements of cash handling and opening/closing till procedures.
- To mitigate against stock shrinkage through remaining alert, ensuring stock is secured and reporting any losses to the management team.
- To follow shop procedures and carry out duties as required by the retail duty manager.
- To work as part of a team in a positive manner.
- To be responsible for the health, safety and welfare of staff and customers, ensuring compliance with all the museum’s policies.
- Work with and support volunteers to ensure their full integration into the museum.
- To conduct regular stocktakes.
- To assist with deliveries ensuring that stock is safely and neatly stored in the stockroom and that relevant paperwork is completed accurately and without delay.
- To help maintain the accuracy of the EPoS System by ensuring stock is processed correctly at the till, and that customer returns, write-offs, markdowns, price changes and supplier stock returns are administered according to retail guidelines.
- To ensure that the shop is kept clean and tidy and that stock is regularly replenished.
Skills and Experience
- Experience of working in a retail environment, or similar.
- Confidence and ability to proactively sell in very busy environments and exceed target.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a passion for delivering great customer service.
- Good visual merchandising skills and excellent recall of product knowledge.
- Flexible approach to a range of retail tasks such as fulfilling online orders and stockroom duties.
- Knowledge of, and interest in, design.