Heatherwick studio is looking for an Archive Assistant to work in our studio based in King’s Cross.
You will be supporting the Collections Manager with the management of our historic archive which documents 25 years of physical project material, including sketches, photographs, models, material tests, mock-ups, prototypes and ephemeral material. This could be a good opportunity for candidate who is interested in curation research or progressing to a postgraduate qualification in archiving.
- Helping to promote and communicate the aims and standards of the archive to studio members
- Assisting the Collections Manager with the management of the studio’s physical storage space
- Condition-checking, photographing and cataloguing three-dimensional archive material
- Condition-checking, scanning and cataloguing project sketches and other two-dimensional material
- Uploading imagery to the studio’s image database and applying key metadata
- Adding information to the studio’s Access archive database
- Carrying out research into the context and provenance of archive material
- Identifying objects in need of cleaning and repair
- Re-packaging archive items in conservation-quality material
- Assisting the Collections Manager with the preparation of material for transfer to off-site storage
Skills and Experience
Your skills and experience:
- Degree in architecture/art/design history or library/reference studies.
- Previous experience in a similar role in a museum, library or gallery is advantageous.
- Strong interest in design and architecture
- PC literate in programs such as Outlook, Microsoft Office and Photoshop
- Experience of using databases
- Knowledge and experience of archives
- General knowledge of preservation and conservation issues
- Experience of handling delicate objects
- Experience of carrying out research through a variety of methods
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to prioritise and plan tasks and to work independently
- Enthusiastic, confident and can work independently
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Reliable and adaptable
- Patient with great attention to details
- Happy to carry out repetitive tasks
- Creative thinking and proactive problem solving
- Organised and methodical
- Inquisitive and able to take the initiative when required