Exclusive to UAL students: Visual Merchandising Internship at Not Just A Shop
not just a shopView Profile
This role will be to plan the layout and visual merchandising of not just a shop for the March spring / summer collection. This will include the designing, planning and installation of the ‘feature’ window area of the shop, and the layout and installation of new and existing products to create a fresh look for the start of spring.
This will include assisting the retail manager in:
• Planning and installing a fresh new layout of not just a shop for display during the period of March – June 2020 for all units in store and the large main window unit:
o Reviewing product themes and looking at product ranges working within existing product themes/stories
o Looking at how we can introduce the new products from our January open call
o Souring props and materials to compliment ranges and displays within budget
o Implementing the design and installing the products in the shop from Friday 13 – Saturday 14 March 2020 (with assistance from NJAS team)
• Creating a vibrant seasonal window display in feature area reflecting current trends and the creativity and diversity of UAL, including design, sourcing of materials and installation:
o Researching ideas for a ‘spring’ theme window and proposing ideas using sustainable materials and working within a small budget
o Selecting products from in store to fit within the design
o Sourcing materials and any props needed
o Implementing the design on 11/ 12 March
• Consider products and ideas for a ‘Mothers Day’ display
• Possible assistance in product selection and buying from existing suppliers to work within themes
• Working with members of Events and Enterprise team within Careers and Employability including retail and marketing staff
If you are interested in this internship please send us an updated CV and a covering letter detailing your interest and relevance to the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who Would Benefit?
not just a shop sells design products and artwork by the University’s abundance of talented alumni, whilst also providing a space for students to get support with starting and developing their businesses.
As the name suggests, not just a shop is much more than a commercial retail space; it also hosts a programme of talks and workshops on topics ranging from pricing work to protecting intellectual property. Proceeds from the shop are reinvested back into supporting the department’s enterprise programme, which includes free talks, workshops, funding and one-to-one business education.
As part of its ongoing investment in UAL’s students and their careers, UAL’s Careers and Employability department is developing a paid internship programme to enable current UAL students to gain relevant experience in not just a shop.
This internship will offer the following:
• How to plan the design and layout of products in not just a shop, working within themes and introducing new products from January selection panel
• Experience in planning the design, layout and installation of ‘feature window’ in busy street facing area of not just a shop creating a vibrant, bold and creative window display to generate interest from the large footfall that pass by and encourage customers in to the store.
• Experience of working within a small budget for VM materials
• Gain paid experience working with design and gift led products by independent makers, learning to apply simple display techniques and use of props to enhance displays and create an interesting appealing customer experience